Demetri M. Orlando
Cambridge, MA ● email
Master of Science in Educational Technology
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, 2005
Certificates in Web-Based Instruction,
Development of Multi-media
Bachelor of Science in Education
Fitchburg State College, Fitchburg, Massachusetts,
Massachusetts State Teaching Certificate: Elementary K-8
Bachelor of Art in Studio Art
Hamilton College, Clinton, New York,
Semester abroad: School for International Training,
2010 – present,
Director of Information Technology, Buckingham Browne & Nichols School,
- Collaboratively lead the academic and operational use of technology at this pK-12th grade school with four campuses.
- Inspire creative and strategic thinking around the use of technology in the classroom.
- Manage technology teams at each campus tasked with opening
communication, planning professional development, and visioning the
future of technology usage.
- Managed transition to Cisco core switches and VOIP phone system with e911.
- Managed transition from MPLS to EVPL WAN circuits connecting four campuses.
- Managed transition of wireless infrastructure from WEP to WPA-Enterprise with 802.1x authentication.
- Managed transition of FileMaker/inResonance SIS database from version 5 to 11.
1999 - present, Technology Consultant
- Helped a school evaluate technology staffing structure and plan for more strategic leadership.
- Helped a school develop comprehensive plan for effective technology integration.
- Collaboratively consulted and wrote RFP for a school choosing a student information system.
- Helped a school develop plans for an integrated website/student information system portal.
Developed, coded, and maintained commercial websites.
Provided on-site training, troubleshooting, and repair services for a variety of clients.
Implemented shopping cart merchant set-up with secure credit card processing.
2007 – 2010,
Director of Technology, Battle Ground Academy, Franklin, TN.
Managed multi-site Windows network with 1,000 PCs, 100 printers, full wireless infrastructure.
Implemented one-to-one Tablet PC program in upper school; established and executed vision/goals.
- Supervised eight-person technology department and computer-science instructors.
- Planned and delivered professional development for 140 faculty and
- Served on school's executive leadership team, academic council,
green team, and emergency-preparedness team.
- Managed Blackbaud servers and efficient use of
- Developed comprehensive three year line-item budget for all elements of school
- Projected and tracked total cost of ownership and return on investment on all expenditures.
2007 - 2012, Consultant,
National Association of Independent Schools, Washington, DC.
2005 - 2008, Instructor, Johns Hopkins
University Graduate School of Education, Columbia, Maryland.
2000 – 2007, Educational Technology Specialist
and Webmaster, Norwood School,
Planned and executed educational success of one-to-one
Taught students using project-based
activities emphasizing problem-solving and self-directed learning.
Trained faculty and administrators on
all technology applications and integration strategies.
Planned, organized, and delivered a variety of professional development
seminars, meetings, and workshops.
- Designed web-based instructional tools using interactive text, audio, and
- Developed and published online guides, tutorials, and e-newsletters for
various computer applications.
- Researched, evaluated, and made purchasing decisions for
software/hardware and vendor selection.
- Employed survey instruments to assess use of technology for curriculum,
professional development, and productivity.
- Utilized classroom observations and interviews to evaluate teachers’
role in technology integration.
- Created matrix of technology skills for students by grade level aligned with national technology
- Created checklist of core competencies for faculty.
- Initiated and facilitated implementation of curriculum mapping database
- Led project teams in website conceptualization, design, execution, and
- Supervised implementation of web portal content-management-system,
facilitating user training and content oversight.
1995 – 2000, Technology
Coordinator, North Country School, Lake Placid, New York.
- Developed and taught technology-enriched lessons in all subject areas.
- Managed technology budget and successfully
secured e-rate funding.
- Configured and managed file, email, and back-up servers.
- Initiated portfolio assessment and created rubrics to guide student
- Provided on-demand troubleshooting for all software, hardware, network,
and printing problems.
1994 – 1995, Second Grade Teacher, Dwight-Englewood School, Englewood, New
Developed and implemented hands-on
math/science curriculum using interdisciplinary units, learning centers, and
- Team-taught a weekly writing workshop.
1989 – 1992, Inventory Manager, The Cook’s Garden Seed Company, Londonderry,
- Maintained seed inventory. Responsible for shipping, germination, and
1987 – 1988, Instructor, McKinley Vocational High School, Boston, Massachusetts.
PROFESSIONAL COLLABORATION & SERVICE
2006 - present, Chair of 21st Century Curriculum/Technology Task Force, National Association of Independent Schools
2008 - present, Technology Committee, Tennessee Association of Independent Schools
2003 - 2007, Technology Committee, Association
of Independent Maryland Schools
Planned and presented annual conference and workshops throughout the year.
Served on three school accreditation teams evaluating
schools for regional accreditation.